When the weather gets colder out comes the Crock Pot. This recipe is a version of chili but since I'm not the biggest chili fan I tweaked it. You can easily change up many of these ingredients based on what you have or even make it vegetarian. I also added spices in as I went along, tasting it to see what it needed. Since you cook the meat beforehand this recipe really only needs 4-5 hours in the Crock Pot so it's perfect for lazy Sundays. Enjoy!
1 package of mild Italian sausage
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes (could drain if you'd like)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can chili peppers
1 package of frozen sweet potato (could use fresh too)
3 cups chicken broth
Olive oil cooking spray
Minced garlic (2-3 tablespoons)
Salt and pepper
*May need cornstarch to thicken if it's too soupy for your taste
1. First cook the sausage in a pan until browned (10 minutes or so)
2. Spray the Crock Pot with cooking spray.
3. Add in all your canned and frozen ingredients
4. Pour in 3 cups of chicken broth
5. Add in the meat
6. Top with all seasonings and garlic (I used 1-2 tablespoons to start and then added more throughout the cooking process). Mix everything together.
7. Cook for 4-6 hours on high. You may need to add cornstarch in it's too much liquid.
8. Top with your favorite toppings. The avocado was a perfect combo!